H.O.S.T. (Part 1 of 5)
H.O.S.T. (Part 1 of 5)
H.O.S.T. is a five part devotion dealing with our attitudes towards God, how we approach Him and the resulting impact on our character and in our lives. Our ultimate goal should always be to honor and glorify God in all we do (thoughts, attitudes, desires, actions and words).
In Parts 1 – 4 of this devotion, we will examine four specific character traits. For each character trait we will discuss:
- A simple Definition of it.
- Specific Scripture related to it.
- The Results of it in our lives.
- Cautions with regards to it.
- Connections between traits.
Trait 1 – Humble
Definition – Recognition of our standing before God (who He is, who we are, what He has done for us). The absence of pride (elevating ourselves) and arrogance (looking down on others) in our approach and attitude towards God. Understanding that God is in control, not us.
- Philippians 2:8 (Christ was humble) And being found in fashion as a man, he humbled himself, and became obedient unto death, even the death of the cross.
- Romans 12:3 (Scripture tells us to be humble) For I say, through the grace given unto me, to every man that is among you, not to think of himself more highly than he ought to think; but to think soberly, according as God hath dealt to every man the measure of faith.
Results – Proper reverence for God. Representing God well. Treating God and others with respect. Humility results in blessings from God.
- 1 Peter 5:6 Humble yourselves therefore under the mighty hand of God, that he may exalt you in due time:
- Weakness – There is power in the word of God (the truth). There is power in understanding our relationship to God. Humility does not equate to weakness.
- Waffling – Don’t become indecisive. Don’t refuse to take a stand for what is right.
- Fake Modesty – You can try to fake humility, but it won’t work. God knows your heart. Others will see it to.
- Insincerity – Humility that is not sincere will not endure during trials and temptations.
- Being Afraid – Giving up control can be frightening. But guess what, God is in control. Find a measure of freedom and peace in His sovereignty (but don’t neglect your responsibilities).
Connections – Humility is the foundation upon which the other character traits will stand. Without humility, we will never have the proper attitude toward God or others.
- Proverbs 9:10 The fear of the Lord is the beginning of wisdom: and the knowledge of the holy is understanding.
Dear LORD, as I bow in reverence before You, I ask You to give me a humble heart. May I never forget that all good things in my life, as well as all my strengths, abilities and blessings, come from You. Guide me to true humility by the Power of Your Holy Spirit, the Truth of Your word, the Peace that comes from Prayer, and the Love You give so freely. Your Grace is amazing. In Christ’s name, Amen.