H.O.S.T (Part 3 of 5)
H.O.S.T (Part 3 of 5)
H.O.S.T. is a five part devotion dealing with our attitudes towards God, how we approach Him and the resulting impact on our character and in our lives. Our ultimate goal should always be to honor and glorify God in all we do (thoughts, attitudes, desires, actions and words).
Part 1 was posted on January 19, 2013. Reading Part 1 will provide an overview of this five part series and cover Trait 1 – Humble. Part 2 was posted on January 26 and deals with being Obedient.
Trait 3 – Submissive
Definition – To recognize God’s authority, power and providence and then respond with a positive attitude by surrendering all that you are to Him.
- Luke 22:41-42 (Christ was submissive to the Father) And he was withdrawn from them about a stone's cast, and kneeled down, and prayed, 42 Saying, Father, if thou be willing, remove this cup from me: nevertheless not my will, but thine, be done.
- Matthew 6:10 (Christ taught us to pray in submission) Thy kingdom come, Thy will be done in earth, as it is in heaven.
Results – Submissive Christians perform their roles and responsibilities while developing a more joyful disposition and attitude. The God ordained order of things is demonstrated, reinforced and fulfilled.
- Acts 21:14 And when he would not be persuaded, we ceased, saying, The will of the Lord be done.
- Rebelling against God as a result of being tainted by the world’s view of submission.
- Focusing only on the servant aspect of your relationship with God.
- Submission in personal or other relationships without appropriate reciprocation.
- Job 2:10 But he said unto her, Thou speakest as one of the foolish women speaketh. What? shall we receive good at the hand of God, and shall we not receive evil? In all this did not Job sin with his lips.
Connections – Obedience is defined by your actions. Submission is defined by your attitude. Submission makes sustained obedience possible.
- Romans 8:28 And we know that all things work together for good to them that love God, to them who are the called according to his purpose.
Dear Lord, I know that at times when I obey, my rebellious nature and bad attitude stand in the way of true submission. Please forgive me. I long to experience the joy and freedom that accompany a genuinely submissive attitude towards You. I pray that through Your Word and the power or Your Holy Spirit, You will change my heart and mind to be humble, obedient and submissive. Thank You for Your grace, mercy and love. I love You Lord. I pray humbly and boldly in the name of my Savior, and by the power of His shed blood for my sin, Amen.