A Light to the Lost
A Light to the Lost
Satan has blinded the lost in this world to the truth about Jesus. All the lost throughout the world need the good news about salvation in Christ to shine in their lives.
- 2 Corinthians 4:3-4 But if our gospel be hid, it is hid to them that are lost: 4 In whom the god of this world hath blinded the minds of them which believe not, lest the light of the glorious gospel of Christ, who is the image of God, should shine unto them.
Christ commanded us to shine as lights before men for the glory of God.
- Matthew 5:16 Let your light so shine before men, that they may see your good works, and glorify your Father which is in heaven.
He made clear that we are not to judge others.
- Mathew 7:1 Judge not, that ye be not judged.
But if we are to shine, we need a power source. Christ identified our power source as the Holy Spirit of God. He also told us that this power would enable us to be witnesses for Him throughout the world.
- Acts 1:8 But ye shall receive power, after that the Holy Ghost is come upon you: and ye shall be witnesses unto me both in Jerusalem, and in all Judaea, and in Samaria, and unto the uttermost part of the earth.
In his letter to the believers at Philippi, Paul outlined the characteristics of a Christian as they obey Christ in the call to shine as lights in a lost and dying world.
- Philippians 2:14-15 Do all things without murmurings and disputings: 15 That ye may be blameless and harmless, the sons of God, without rebuke, in the midst of a crooked and perverse nation, among whom ye shine as lights in the world;
- Our Attitude – ‘without murmuring’ As we live to honor God and witness to the lost, we should maintain a positive attitude. We should not be complainers.
- Our Actions – ‘(without) disputings’ When we face opposition and resistance, we are not to be argumentative. It is the Holy Spirit that reveals the truth, not our ability to ‘win’ an argument. It doesn’t matter that we are right. The lost have to see the truth; and God does that, not us (John 6:44).
- Our Reputation – ‘That ye may be blameless’ For our light to shine brightly and effectively, we must live the life we call other to. We can’t be hypocrites.
- Our Intentions – ‘and harmless’ Our purpose is to faithfully and obediently share the truth about Christ while brining glory to God. Our desire is conversion of the lost. We are not judge, jury or executioner.
- Our Heritage – ‘the sons of God’ As children of God and joint heirs with Christ, we walk in this world as ambassadors. Our goal is to reach the lost and see them join the family.
- Our Standing – ‘without rebuke’ (without fault) Our righteousness is found in Jesus Christ (2 Corinthians 5:21). Although we fall short in the flesh, we strive to live holy lives by submitting to the strength of God.
- Our Surroundings – ‘in the midst of a crooked and perverse nation’ We are called to be holy (separate) and loving (involved). To shine as lights we must walk in the dark while not being consumed or tainted by it.
- Our Purpose – ‘ye shine as lights in the world’ We shine as lights by sharing God’s Word, showing the love of Christ through good works, and by living a Godly life. Some plant, some water, but God brings the increase – salvation to the lost (1 Corinthians 3:7)!
What an honor and privilege to be indwelled, empowered and instructed by the Word and Spirit of God for the expressed purposes of glorifying God and sharing His truth with the lost!
Lord, I am humbled and grateful that You have saved me. Your Word is clear that I am to shine as a light in this dark world. To shine I need Your power. You have told me how to be an effective light. It is only through Your strength that I can fulfill this purpose. Forgive me when I judge others, when I fall short of Your standards, and when I hide my light out of fear or embarrassment. I long to faithfully obey You in every area of my life. May I trust You. May I serve You. May I honor You. May Your will be done. In Christ name, Amen.