Open My Eyes
Open My EyesDo you struggle with understanding the meaning of scripture and/or how to apply the Word of God to your daily life? There are several possible reasons you could be struggling with this. Review the information below and pray for God to reveal if one or more of these situations are contributing to your difficulties with His Word.
Understanding and application of God’s Word is a lifelong process. Persevere in your search and He will honor your longing to know Him.PrayerDear Father, Your Word is such a precious gift. I pray that You will continue to reveal Yourself and Your Will through Your Word. May Your Holy Spirit bring understanding. May understanding bring correct application. May correct application bring glory and honor to You. I praise You and love You. In Christ’s name, Amen.
You are not a Christian
- The Bible is very clear, if you are not a born again believer in Jesus Christ, and therefore not indwelled by His Holy Spirit, you will not be able to understand the spiritual truths in God’s Word. Without the Holy Spirit, the Word of God seems to be foolishness.
- John 5:38 But you do not have His word abiding in you, because whom He sent, Him you do not believe.
- 1 Corinthians 2:14 But the natural man does not receive the things of the Spirit of God, for they are foolishness to him; nor can he know them, because they are spiritually discerned.
- Surrender your life to Christ. Spend the rest of your days seeking and serving our Lord and Savior Jesus Christ. Then the Word of God will come alive in you and to you.
You are an Immature Christian
- Salvation in Christ is a gift from God that you cannot earn. However, once you become a child of God, you must grow in your faith and in your knowledge. This takes time, effort and most importantly, the blessings of God through the illumination of His Word by the Holy Spirit. The Bible provides an analogy for spiritual growth; a baby starts with milk but then grows up to eat solid food.
- 1 Peter 2:2 as newborn babes, desire the pure milk of the word, that you may grow thereby,
- Hebrews 5:13-14 For everyone who partakes only of milk is unskilled in the word of righteousness, for he is a babe. 14 But solid food belongs to those who are of full age, that is, those who by reason of use have their senses exercised to discern both good and evil.
- Whether you have been a Christian for 20 minutes or 20 years you can still be spiritually immature. You must be reading His Word, receiving sound Bible instruction, and serving faithfully to grow.
You are a Christian, but you are not being faithful in your study of God’s Word
- We are without excuse if we don’t heed the warnings and embrace the promises contained in scripture. We have to approach Bible study with the right attitude; humility and a willingness/readiness to learn. As a Christian, you should be reading the Bible daily!
- Luke 16:29 Abraham said to him, ‘They have Moses and the prophets; let them hear them.’
- Acts 17:11 These were more fair-minded than those in Thessalonica, in that they received the word with all readiness, and searched the Scriptures daily to find out whether these things were so.
- Even as a mature Christian, you must read your Bible daily. Constant fellowship with God is key in applying His Word to your life and understanding His Will for your life.
You are a Christian, but are trying to figure out something you are not meant to understand
- God has been very gracious in giving us His Word. And beyond that, in His time, He enables those who trust Christ as savior to understand His Truth by the gift of the Holy Spirit. But, as much as He has revealed to us through scripture, there are some things we are just not meant to understand. Some truths about God are beyond our ability to understand.
- Isaiah 55:8-9 “For My thoughts are not your thoughts, Nor are your ways My ways,” says the Lord. 9 “For as the heavens are higher than the earth, So are My ways higher than your ways, And My thoughts than your thoughts.
- Romans 11:33 Oh, the depth of the riches both of the wisdom and knowledge of God! How unsearchable are His judgments and His ways past finding out!
- Can you accept God’s truth without understanding it? Genuine faith goes beyond our ability to understand!
You are not asking God to Open Your Eyes
- Regardless of who you are and where you are in your relationship with God, you must ask Him to open your eyes to the truth of His Word. Understanding scripture is a blessed gift from God.
- Psalm 119:18 Open my eyes, that I may see wondrous things from Your law.
- Luke 24:45 And He opened their understanding, that they might comprehend the Scriptures.
- Always pray for God to reveal the meaning of scripture. Understanding His Word is not about our intelligence, it is because of His graciousness.
Understanding and application of God’s Word is a lifelong process. Persevere in your search and He will honor your longing to know Him.
- Hebrews 11:6 But without faith it is impossible to please Him, for he who comes to God must believe that He is, and that He is a rewarder of those who diligently seek Him.
- Romans 5:3-4 And not only that, but we also glory in tribulations, knowing that tribulation produces perseverance; 4 and perseverance, character; and character, hope.
- The Lord will reveal truth to you at the perfect time. All He does is for your benefit. Everything He does is good and right. Perhaps He is allowing you to dig and struggle as part of your journey to know Him better and trust Him more.