Internet, television, radio, movies, books, magazines, advertising, the way people dress, the things people talk about, email, texting, social media…; the world bombards Christians with temptation. Now don’t get me wrong, everything listed here can be used to glorify God. But honestly, sometimes it feels like I am drowning in a sea of temptation.
But no matter how high the waves get, regardless of how many sharks are circling, even when you feel like you can’t tread water any longer, God has promised a way to escape every temptation we face!
- 1 Corinthians 10:12-13 Therefore let him who thinks he stands take heed lest he fall. 13 No temptation has overtaken you except such as is common to man; but God is faithful, who will not allow you to be tempted beyond what you are able, but with the temptation will also make the way of escape, that you may be able to bear it.
- Verse 12 is a strong warning; don’t stand in pride and let down your guard. If you do, you are inviting disaster (1 Peter 5:6-7).
- God allows temptation in our lives to help us grow. But He will never allow us to be tempted with something He has not equipped us to resist (Psalm 66:10, 1 Peter 1:6-7).
In Chapter 2 of Second Peter, while warning us about false teachers, the Apostle Peter also comforts us by providing examples of how God delivers the righteous before administering judgment upon the wicked.
- 2 Peter 2:7-9 and delivered righteous Lot, who was oppressed by the filthy conduct of the wicked 8 (for that righteous man, dwelling among them, tormented his righteous soul from day to day by seeing and hearing their lawless deeds) 9 then the Lord knows how to deliver the godly out of temptations and to reserve the unjust under punishment for the day of judgment,
- Lot was tormented daily by the filthy conduct of those around him. Yet God faithfully delivered him from the midst of these trials and temptations before destroying the wicked cities of Sodom and Gomorrah (Genesis 19:1-25).
- But as we learn from the example of Lot’s wife, when God has delivered you from temptation, be obedient to his instructions/commands or there may be dire consequences (Genesis 19:26).
So how do we experience the victory over temptation God has promised?
- Psalm 34:17-19 The righteous cry out, and the Lord hears, and delivers them out of all their troubles. 18 The Lord is near to those who have a broken heart, and saves such as have a contrite spirit. 19 Many are the afflictions of the righteous, but the Lord delivers him out of them all.
- Regardless of the troubles and temptations we face, cry out to God in repentance, be broken over the sin in our lives, and live in total dependence on Him and His strength (2 Corinthians 12:7-10).
A way of Escape is promised. God is Faithful. Stand in His strength lest you fall in your weakness!
- James 1:13-15 Let no one say when he is tempted, “I am tempted by God”; for God cannot be tempted by evil, nor does He Himself tempt anyone. 14 But each one is tempted when he is drawn away by his own desires and enticed. 15 Then, when desire has conceived, it gives birth to sin; and sin, when it is full-grown, brings forth death.
Faithful Father, Loving Lord, You have promised to deliver us from temptation when we call upon You and live in dependence on Your strength. May Your spirit guide us to submission and obedience to Your Word and the leading of Your Holy Spirit. Victory is ours in Christ, and it is in His name I pray, Amen.