Jesus is God
Jesus is God
One of the clearest truths presented throughout the Bible is that Jesus Christ is God. The Old and New Testaments declare this truth consistently and unapologetically. Unfortunately, many people don’t believe or understand this fundamental truth. Presented here are just a few of the scriptures that identify Jesus as God.
Jesus Claimed to Be God
- John 8:58 Jesus said to them, “Most assuredly, I say to you, before Abraham was, I AM.” (see Exodus 3:13-14, ‘I AM’ is God’s proper name (Yahweh), the self-existent One)
- John 14:9 Jesus said to him, “Have I been with you so long, and yet you have not known Me, Philip? He who has seen Me has seen the Father; so how can you say, ‘Show us the Father’?
- John 10:30 I and My Father are one.”
- Matthew 26:63-64 But Jesus kept silent. And the high priest answered and said to Him, “I put You under oath by the living God: Tell us if You are the Christ, the Son of God!” 64 Jesus said to him, “It is as you said. Nevertheless, I say to you, hereafter you will see the Son of Man sitting at the right hand of the Power, and coming on the clouds of heaven.”
Isaiah Prophesied God Coming in the Flesh
- Isaiah 7:14 Therefore the Lord Himself will give you a sign: Behold, the virgin shall conceive and bear a Son, and shall call His name Immanuel. (see Matthew 1:23, Immanuel means ‘God with us’)
- Isaiah 9:6 For unto us a Child is born, Unto us a Son is given; And the government will be upon His shoulder. And His name will be called Wonderful, Counselor, Mighty God, Everlasting Father, Prince of Peace.
New Testament Writers Declared that Jesus is God
- John 1:1 In the beginning was the Word, and the Word was with God, and the Word was God.
- John 1:14 And the Word became flesh and dwelt among us, and we beheld His glory, the glory as of the only begotten of the Father, full of grace and truth.
- Colossians 1:15 Who is the image of the invisible God, the firstborn of every creature: ('firstborn' refers to Christ's preeminence, not a chronological order - Christ was not created)
- Colossians 2:9 For in Him dwells all the fullness of the Godhead bodily;
- Hebrews 1:3 who being the brightness of His glory and the express image of His person, and upholding all things by the word of His power, when He had by Himself purged our sins, sat down at the right hand of the Majesty on high,
- 1 Timothy 3:16 And without controversy great is the mystery of godliness: God was manifested in the flesh, Justified in the Spirit, Seen by angels, Preached among the Gentiles, Believed on in the world, Received up in glory.
The High Priest, Other Jewish Religious Leaders and Other Jews Wanted to Kill Jesus Because They Understood His Claims to be God
- John 5:18 Therefore the Jews sought all the more to kill Him, because He not only broke the Sabbath, but also said that God was His Father, making Himself equal with God.
- John 8:59 Then they took up stones to throw at Him; but Jesus hid Himself and went out of the temple, going through the midst of them, and so passed by.
- John 10:31 Then the Jews took up stones again to stone Him.
- Matthew 26:65 Then the high priest tore his clothes, saying, “He has spoken blasphemy! What further need do we have of witnesses? Look, now you have heard His blasphemy!
It is critical to understand that Jesus is not ‘a God’; He is ‘the God’!
- John 3:16 For God so loved the world that He gave His only begotten Son, that whoever believes in Him should not perish but have everlasting life.
- ‘Only begotten’ indicates one-of-a-kind, unique. Jesus is the only manifestation of God in the flesh. There is only one God! Yet God exists in three ‘persons’, the Father, the Son and the Holy Ghosts. Despite what you may have been told, we will never be a God or the God.
An exhaustive study of the Deity of Jesus Christ means an exhaustive study of the entire Bible. My prayer is that the Holy Spirit of God will use the verses above to convict you of the imperative truth that Jesus is God:
- For Conversion if you don’t know Christ as Savior and Lord.
- For Comfort if you have doubts about Jesus Christ being God.
- For Confirmation if you are already a believer in the Deity of Christ.
My intention for this devotion was to share His Words, not mine.
Father, may the truth of Your Holy Word by the power of Your Holy Spirit reveal or confirm the Deity of Christ to everyone reading this devotion. The understanding and belief that God came to earth in the flesh, lived a sinless life, died for the sins of the world, rose from the dead and ascended to Heaven is crucial for a right relationship with You. Thank You for sharing this truth, although beyond our complete understanding, beautifully simplistic in its eternal significance. I pray in the Holy name of Jesus Christ my Savior, Amen.