The Hope That Is In You
The Hope That Is In YouAs a Christian, you are commanded to be prepared to defend The Hope That Is In You to anyone who asks about it.
A Christian's Hope IsA Christian’s Hope Primarily Focuses OnFor those who don’t know Christ as Savior, hope may be based on one’s own ability or resources, other people, circumstances, luck, money, false gods, karma, feelings, selfish desires, etc. All of these are unreliable and certain to disappoint in the long run.Christian hope defies logic, feelings, circumstances and worldly wisdom; it is based on assurances from, confidence in, and experience with God Almighty! It takes disciplined study of God’s Word and daily submission to the Holy Spirit to prepare and deliver a proper defense of Christian hope.But be sure not to forget the last part of 1 Peter 3:15; defend the reason for The Hope That Is In You ‘with meekness and fear’. We should never be proud, boastful, arrogant, pushy, rude, impatient, judgmental, hypocritical, etc. It is an awesome privilege and responsibility to share the truth with someone blinded by Satan (2 Corinthians 4:4). Does your life reflect the glory of God? Are you prepared to defend your hope? We should be very afraid of misleading, discouraging or judging others while we share the truth about God. Always speak the truth in love (Ephesians 4:15).PrayerLord God in Heaven, thank You for the hope that You have given. What a gracious gift. I pray that Your children will seek you diligently and faithfully submit to the guidance of Your Holy Spirit while defending the reason for the hope that is within them. Use Your church Lord to further Your Kingdom. Prepare Your children to share the truth. May our confidence always be in You and in You alone. In the precious name of Jesus Christ I pray, Amen.
- 1 Peter 3:15 But sanctify the Lord God in your hearts, and always be ready to give a defense to everyone who asks you a reason for the hope that is in you, with meekness and fear;
To do that, there are some fundamental things about Christian Hope that you need to know and understand (this is far from exhaustive).
A Christian’s Hope Comes From
- God’s Grace
- 2 Thessalonians 2:16 Now may our Lord Jesus Christ Himself, and our God and Father, who has loved us and given us everlasting consolation and good hope by grace,
- Jesus Christ
- 1 Timothy 1:1 Paul, an apostle of Jesus Christ, by the commandment of God our Savior and the Lord Jesus Christ, our hope,
- The Holy Spirit
- Romans 15:13 Now may the God of hope fill you with all joy and peace in believing, that you may abound in hope by the power of the Holy Spirit.
- Romans 15:4 For whatever things were written before were written for our learning, that we through the patience and comfort of the Scriptures might have hope.
- Faithfully Enduring Life in a Fallen World
- Romans 5:3-4 And not only that, but we also glory in tribulations, knowing that tribulation produces perseverance; 4 and perseverance, character; and character, hope.
- 1 Peter 1:3 Blessed be the God and Father of our Lord Jesus Christ, who according to His abundant mercy has begotten us again to a living hope through the resurrection of Jesus Christ from the dead,
- 2 Corinthians 3:12 Therefore, since we have such hope, we use great boldness of speech—
- Romans 5:5 Now hope does not disappoint, because the love of God has been poured out in our hearts by the Holy Spirit who was given to us.
- An Anchor
- Hebrews 6:19 This hope we have as an anchor of the soul, both sure and steadfast, and which enters the Presence behind the veil,
- Psalm 39:7 “And now, Lord, what do I wait for? My hope is in You.
- Christ’s Return
- Titus 2:13 looking for the blessed hope and glorious appearing of our great God and Savior Jesus Christ,
- Eternal Life
- Titus 3:7 that having been justified by His grace we should become heirs according to the hope of eternal life.
- The Fulfillment of God’s Promises
- Romans 4:18, 21 18 who, contrary to hope, in hope believed, so that he became the father of many nations, according to what was spoken, “So shall your descendants be.” 21 and being fully convinced that what He had promised He was also able to perform.
Hope For Christians Is
- A wonderful gift from God to His children which helps to sustain their faith and optimism during the many difficult trials that result from their own weaknesses and living in a fallen world.
- Based on God’s character and plans, not our selfish desires.
- Tangible evidence of the Truth of God’s Word and the Indwelling Presence of His Holy Spirit; it is not just for our comfort, but mostly for His Glory.