What Grows in the Dark
What Grows in the Dark
- Galatians 6:7-8 Do not be deceived, God is not mocked; for whatever a man sows, that he will also reap. 8 For he who sows to his flesh will of the flesh reap corruption, but he who sows to the Spirit will of the Spirit reap everlasting life.
Whether you realize it or not, you spread seeds every day of your life. And obviously, what you will reap is based on what you have planted. Are you sowing to your flesh or to the Spirit? What grows in your ‘life’s garden’ affects everyone around you; there are eternal implications for how you live your life.
In Galatians Chapter 5, Paul gives us some specific details about ‘works of the flesh’ and ‘the fruit of the Spirit’.
Works of the Flesh
- Galatians 5:19-21 Now the works of the flesh are evident, which are: adultery, fornication, uncleanness, lewdness, 20 idolatry, sorcery, hatred, contentions, jealousies, outbursts of wrath, selfish ambitions, dissensions, heresies, 21 envy, murders, drunkenness, revelries, and the like; of which I tell you beforehand, just as I also told you in time past, that those who practice such things will not inherit the kingdom of God.
- Driven by Selfishness – Focused on satisfying one’s own desires and perceived needs.
- Characterized by Disobedience – An unruly spirit that ignores the testimony of creation, God’s Word and the conviction of the Holy Spirit.
- Ripens in Darkness – Like a fungus, thrives in the damp, dark recesses of fallen humanity.
- Ends in Corruption (Decay) – Results in spiritual death; eternal separation from God’s grace.
Fruit of the Spirit
- Galatians 5:22-23 But the fruit of the Spirit is love, joy, peace, longsuffering, kindness, goodness, faithfulness, 23 gentleness, self-control. Against such there is no law.
- Evidence of Selflessness – Finds joy and satisfaction in helping others.
- Distinguished by Obedience – Led by the Holy Spirit in faithful submission to the truth in the Bible and in acknowledgment of the glory of God’s creation.
- Blossoms in the Light – Beautifully displays the love of Christ through acts of service and sharing the truth about sin and salvation.
- Leads to Eternal Life – Culminates in an eternal relationship with the Father, the Son and the Holy Ghost in Heaven.
What grows in the dark is that which cannot stand ‘The Light’! But there is Hope!!
- John 8:12 Then Jesus spoke to them again, saying, “I am the light of the world. He who follows Me shall not walk in darkness, but have the light of life.”
- The Apostle Paul was commissioned by Christ ‘to open their eyes, in order to turn them from darkness to light, and from the power of Satan to God, that they may receive forgiveness of sins and an inheritance among those who are sanctified by faith in Me.’’ (Acts 26:18)
Consider your garden. Are you planting in the dark or in the light? Read God’s Word to get a clear understanding of your future harvest. It’s not too late. Run from the dark into the light! Run to Christ!