How Sweet It Is!
How Sweet It Is!
Do you have a favorite food?
Something spicy, something sweet,
something scarce, some special treat?
You know that sense of anticipation when your favorite food is part of an upcoming meal? Perhaps you try to sneak a taste before the meal starts. Maybe you eat a little less of other things to save some extra room for ‘the good stuff’.
God understands! He created different foods and spices with a wide variety tastes, he gave us taste buds, and He gave us an amazingly complex brain that processes all that information and gives us the sense of pleasure/enjoyment/satisfaction. This was not a divine accident; He loves us and wants us to experience pleasurable things.
So it’s really no surprise that God uses Biblical analogies to compare our sense of taste to how He wants us to enjoy His Word. Or that He teaches us about hungering for His Word and growing spiritually as a result of a healthy diet of Truth.
Try it, you’ll like it!
- Psalm 34:8 Oh, taste and see that the Lord is good; Blessed is the man who trusts in Him!
- If you haven’t yet discovered how satisfying a healthy daily serving of God’s Word can be, you have to try it.
- Looking for information about practical application of your faith – taste a little James or Proverbs.
- Prefer something lyrical/poetic – sample Psalms, Ecclesiastes and Song of Solomon.
- Interested in the Law – dive into Genesis – Deuteronomy and Hebrews.
- Want to learn about Jesus’ life – give Matthew, Mark, Luke and John a try.
- Curious about the creation and spread of the New Testament Church – nibble on Acts.
- And so much more...
Hey, this is really good!
- Psalm 119:103 How sweet are Your words to my taste, Sweeter than honey to my mouth!
- If you will read God’s Word a little every day, you will start to crave it – you will hunger for it. Be flexible in how you feed your hunger for the truth.
- Morning quiet time is always great.
- Listen while you commute/travel.
- Find a Bible reading plan that works for you (or develop your own).
- Download a Bible App, read His Word anytime anywhere.
- Quiet your mind and close out your day reading a few pages of God’s love letter to the human race.
- Meditate on His Word morning, evening...
It not only tastes good, it’s good for you!
- 1 Peter 2:1-3 Therefore, laying aside all malice, all deceit, hypocrisy, envy, and all evil speaking, 2 as newborn babes, desire the pure milk of the word, that you may grow thereby, 3 if indeed you have tasted that the Lord is gracious.
- Wholesome food and regular exercise help keep our bodies healthy. Daily intake of God’s Holy Word applied regularly in one’s life leads to wisdom and more Christ-like thoughts, desires, words and actions.
- Combine prayer with your Bible reading for extra benefits.
- Discuss the Bible with other believers.
- Memorize scripture – start with a few familiar verses you love.
- Include Biblical principles and history in your conversations.
- Tell your family how God is speaking to you through His Word.
- The Word of God helps you understand yourself, the world, what's coming...
The Lord will satisfy a soul that is hungry for the truth!
- Matthew 5:6 Blessed are those who hunger and thirst for righteousness, For they shall be filled.
- When craving your favorite food, nothing else will satisfy. When God’s Spirit gives you a hunger for, an appreciation of, and some insight into His Word, your heart and soul will long to mine the infinite depths and riches of His Living Word.
- Pray for an understanding of God’s Word that comes only from the Holy Spirit.
- Seek out related verses throughout the Bible to see the bigger picture/broader application.
- Study to understand the context of scripture (people, places, perspectives, etc.).
- Participate in a small group Bible study.
- Look and pray for opportunities to share what God is teaching you.
- Learn the truth about where you came from, the meaning of life, what happens when you die...
God’s buffet is always open.
He has prepared a feast for you.
Open your heart and He will fill it with good things.
God of wonders, God of light, God of truth, I love You and I love Your Word. Thank You for the Holy Bible. Please, I pray, make Your Word available to all who would taste, to all who would consume, to all who would digest the truth. Guide me in Your Word. Please reveal the truth of Jesus and the good news of salvation in His name to all those seeking truth. I pray these things in the name of Jesus Christ, my friend, my Lord, my Savior and my God. Amen.