There Is Not a Man On Earth
There Is Not a Man On Earth
It is an unfortunate reality that people turn to people instead of turning to God. And it’s not just the lost; Christians often place their trust in people rather than our Heavenly Father. Sometimes people trust in themselves. Sometimes people trust in the person viewed as having the authority, power or knowledge to make things happen. But whether it’s answers, perceived needs or healing, there is not a man on earth who can take the place of God as our source of truth, our provider and our healer.
When Nebuchadnezzar wanted to understand his dream, he commanded his magicians, astrologers and wise men not only to interpret the dream, but also to tell him what the dream was. This is probably one of the very few times that what they told the king was actually true.
- Daniel 2:10 The Chaldeans answered the king, and said, “There is not a man on earth who can tell the king’s matter; therefore no king, lord, or ruler has ever asked such things of any magician, astrologer, or Chaldean.
- Then Daniel told the king who could give him answers; the one and only God in Heaven!
- Daniel 2:27-28 Daniel answered in the presence of the king, and said, “The secret which the king has demanded, the wise men, the astrologers, the magicians, and the soothsayers cannot declare to the king. 28 But there is a God in heaven who reveals secrets, and He has made known to King Nebuchadnezzar what will be in the latter days. Your dream, and the visions of your head upon your bed, were these:
When Lot’s daughters saw that there was not a man available to meet their perceived immediate need to have children, they trusted in themselves. They got their father drunk and became pregnant by him. The depravity of the human race shows through when we trust in ourselves.
- Genesis 19:30-31 Then Lot went up out of Zoar and dwelt in the mountains, and his two daughters were with him; for he was afraid to dwell in Zoar. And he and his two daughters dwelt in a cave. 31 Now the firstborn said to the younger, “Our father is old, and there is no man on the earth to come in to us as is the custom of all the earth
- In a similar situation, Sarah (who couldn't have children) desperately wanted a child. Then God promised that she would have a child with her husband Abraham. Years later when she was 75, Sarah became impatient and offered her maidservant Hagar to her husband as a concubine. But then, when Abraham was 100 and Sarah was 90, God was faithful to His promise and Sarah did have a child with Abraham. Only God can fulfill His promises; and He does so according to His timetable.
- Genesis 21:1-2 And the Lord visited Sarah as He had said, and the Lord did for Sarah as He had spoken. 2 For Sarah conceived and bore Abraham a son in his old age, at the set time of which God had spoken to him.
And when Paul, by God’s power healed a man who had been crippled from birth, some of the people in Lystra thought that he and Barnabas were gods and tried to make animal sacrifices to them. These people understood it would take a god to do this miracle; but they didn’t know about the one true God.
- Acts 14:9-11 This man heard Paul speaking. Paul, observing him intently and seeing that he had faith to be healed, 10 said with a loud voice, “Stand up straight on your feet!” And he leaped and walked. 11 Now when the people saw what Paul had done, they raised their voices, saying in the Lycaonian language, “The gods have come down to us in the likeness of men!”
- But Paul gave God credit for this miraculous healing. He had been proclaiming to them the truth about God. He also went on to tell them that the one true God is the creator of all things.
- Acts 14:15 and saying, “Men, why are you doing these things? We also are men with the same nature as you, and preach to you that you should turn from these useless things to the living God, who made the heaven, the earth, the sea, and all things that are in them,
God has warned us about trusting in anything other than Him.
- Jeremiah 17:5-6 Thus says the Lord: “Cursed is the man who trusts in man And makes flesh his strength, Whose heart departs from the Lord. 6 For he shall be like a shrub in the desert, And shall not see when good comes, But shall inhabit the parched places in the wilderness, In a salt land which is not inhabited.
- Isaiah 31:1 Woe to those who go down to Egypt for help, And rely on horses, Who trust in chariots because they are many, And in horsemen because they are very strong, But who do not look to the Holy One of Israel, Nor seek the Lord!
He has also promised blessings to those who trust in Him.
- Jeremiah 17:7-8 “Blessed is the man who trusts in the Lord, And whose hope is the Lord. 8 For he shall be like a tree planted by the waters, Which spreads out its roots by the river, And will not fear when heat comes; But its leaf will be green, And will not be anxious in the year of drought, Nor will cease from yielding fruit.
- Psalm 34:8 Oh, taste and see that the Lord is good; Blessed is the man who trusts in Him!
And when it comes to the ultimate need of all humanity, the forgiveness of our sins, appeasement of God’s wrath and eternal life in Heaven; Jesus, God in the flesh, has made clear that God is the only one who can meet this need.
- John 6:44 No one can come to Me unless the Father who sent Me draws him; and I will raise him up at the last day.
- John 14:6 Jesus said to him, “I am the way, the truth, and the life. No one comes to the Father except through Me.
- John 17:3 And this is eternal life, that they may know You, the only true God, and Jesus Christ whom You have sent.
There is not a man on earth who can meet your needs. Trust in the Lord!
- Psalm 20:7 Some trust in chariots, and some in horses; But we will remember the name of the Lord our God.
Father, may we trust in You alone. You know all things, created all things, gave us life, provide for us, save us. Please Lord, humble us. Help us all to see that you are our only hope. May the truth of Your Word burn in our hearts and draw us close to You; whatever our needs may be. I pray to You in the name of Your Son Jesus Christ. Amen.