First Things First
First Things First
There is no shortage of good works, worthy causes and meaningful tasks for those who have surrendered their lives to Jesus Christ as Lord and Savior.
- Sharing and Showing the Love of Jesus
- Speaking the Truth
- Standing for what is Right
- Strengthening Families
- Serving Others
- Supporting the Church and Those in Need
But, to bring honor and glory to God by doing these and countless other things, there is something else that must come first – you must put Christ above everything else in your life.
Understanding Who Jesus Is
- John 14:6 Jesus said to him, “I am the way, the truth, and the life. No one comes to the Father except through Me.
- Jesus is the only way to a right relationship with God the Father.
- Jesus is the embodiment of God’s eternal truths.
- Jesus' sinless life, sacrificial death and resurrection from the dead is how our sins are forgiven and our eternal life in Heaven is secured.
Acknowledging Who Jesus Is
- Philippians 2:9-11 Therefore God also has highly exalted Him and given Him the name which is above every name, 10 that at the name of Jesus every knee should bow, of those in heaven, and of those on earth, and of those under the earth, 11 and that every tongue should confess that Jesus Christ is Lord, to the glory of God the Father.
- Every knee will bow to Jesus
- You can bow in worship and surrender to Him as a joint heir to His inheritance in Heaven and spend eternity fellowshipping with Him
- Or you can bow in defeat and defiance as a condemned foe of His and spend eternity suffering in a real place called Hell separated from Him
Honoring Who Jesus Is
- Colossians 1:17-18 And He is before all things, and in Him all things consist. 18 And He is the head of the body, the church, who is the beginning, the firstborn from the dead, that in all things He may have the preeminence.
- Jesus Christ is to come first in our lives; He is ranked above everything and everyone else.
- Jesus Christ is to be the number one influence on and in our lives; we take our direction from Him.
- Jesus Christ is to be our absolute top priority.
The preeminence of Jesus doesn’t cause us to neglect God honoring relationships and endeavors; putting Him first enables us to excel at all we do for His glory, to further His Kingdom, and to love and serve others. To be the best we can be for all those we love and in all that we do:
No Person Should Come Before Jesus
- Matthew 10:37 He who loves father or mother more than Me is not worthy of Me. And he who loves son or daughter more than Me is not worthy of Me.
- Love others better by loving Jesus first.
No Possession Should Come Before Jesus
- Philippians 3:7-8 But what things were gain to me, these I have counted loss for Christ. 8 Yet indeed I also count all things loss for the excellence of the knowledge of Christ Jesus my Lord, for whom I have suffered the loss of all things, and count them as rubbish, that I may gain Christ
- Your relationship with Jesus is the most valuable thing in your life.
No Purpose Should Come Before Jesus
- Luke 9:23 Then He said to them all, “If anyone desires to come after Me, let him deny himself, and take up his cross daily, and follow Me.
- Wherever it may take you, your number one goal must be to follow Jesus in love, submission and obedience.
First Things First
Put Jesus Above All Else
Father, there are so many ways I don’t put Jesus first in my life. Please forgive me for not making Your Son preeminent in all areas of my life. Guide me by the truth of Your Word and the power of Your Spirit to the place where Jesus is Number One in my life. Work in the hearts and minds of those who love You to make Jesus their top priority. And for those who don’t know You through Jesus, please Holy Father, draw them to Yourself for salvation in Jesus Christ. I pray in the name above every name, Jesus Christ. Amen.