Obedience Means Possibilities
Obedience Means Possibilities
From beginning to end the Bible is very clear, obedience to God is critically important to our relationship with Him.
- Exodus 19:5 Now therefore, if you will indeed obey My voice and keep My covenant, then you shall be a special treasure to Me above all people; for all the earth is Mine.
- God spoke to the Nation of Israel through Moses at Mount Sinai – obey Me and you will be blessed.
- 1 Samuel 15:22 So Samuel said: “Has the Lord as great delight in burnt offerings and sacrifices, As in obeying the voice of the Lord? Behold, to obey is better than sacrifice, And to heed than the fat of rams.
- As Saul, the first King of Israel, made excuses for his blatant disobedience, God used the prophet Samuel to make clear God’s priority – obey Him.
- John 14:15 “If you love Me, keep My commandments.
- Jesus Christ, God in the flesh, was unambiguous as He told to His disciples what true love for Him looked like – obedience.
- Romans 6:16 Do you not know that to whom you present yourselves slaves to obey, you are that one’s slaves whom you obey, whether of sin leading to death, or of obedience leading to righteousness?
- Whoever we obey is our master – God shared this plain truth through Paul the Apostle.
Obedience Means Possibilities! Read on to see some of the ways God uses the obedience of His people.
Note - Familiarity with the historical Biblical characters discussed below is needed to appreciate the possibilities realized through their obedience to God.
Purposes Accomplished - Moses
- Exodus 12:40-41 Now the sojourn of the children of Israel who lived in Egypt was four hundred and thirty years. 41 And it came to pass at the end of the four hundred and thirty years—on that very same day—it came to pass that all the armies of the Lord went out from the land of Egypt.
- Whether delivering the Nation of Israel from bondage in Egypt or delivering the Gospel message of Jesus Christ to a lost person, obedience leads to God’s purposes being accomplished.
Prayers Offered - Hannah
- 1 Samuel 1:15 But Hannah answered and said, “No, my lord, I am a woman of sorrowful spirit. I have drunk neither wine nor intoxicating drink, but have poured out my soul before the Lord.
- Faith in God leads to prayer to God. Worship, thanksgiving, confession, requests and much more are all a part of our ongoing fellowship with God through prayer. God tells us to ‘pray without ceasing’ (1 Thessalonians 5:17).
Pride Destroyed - Naaman
- 2 Kings 5:13 And his servants came near and spoke to him, and said, “My father, if the prophet had told you to do something great, would you not have done it? How much more then, when he says to you, ‘Wash, and be clean’?”
- When we put our logic and standards above the commands, standards and principles of God, in pride we are turning our backs on Him and His blessings. Don’t try to rationalize what God says – do what God says.
Perseverance Demonstrated - Job
- James 5:11 Indeed we count them blessed who endure. You have heard of the perseverance of Job and seen the end intended by the Lord—that the Lord is very compassionate and merciful.
- We live in a world that is broken by sin. Losing our possessions, our loved ones and/or our health are tragedies that must be endured by keeping focused on the compassion and mercy of our loving Heavenly Father. Show your obedience by trusting in the Lord with all your heart, not leaning on your own understanding (Proverbs 3:5-6).
Power Displayed - Gideon
- Judges 6:15 So he said to Him, “O my Lord, how can I save Israel? Indeed my clan is the weakest in Manasseh, and I am the least in my father’s house.”
- Whatever the odds, whatever your history, whatever your doubts – faith in and obedience to God are an unbeatable combination.
Peace Attained - Mary Magdalene
- Mark 16:9 Now when He rose early on the first day of the week, He appeared first to Mary Magdalene, out of whom He had cast seven demons.
- No matter the burden you carry, no matter the struggles you face, surrender your life to God through Jesus in obedience to His call. Jesus longs to give you peace (Matthew 11:28-30).
Pruning Endured - Peter
- John 15:2 Every branch in Me that does not bear fruit He takes away; and every branch that bears fruit He prunes, that it may bear more fruit.
- Pruning can be painful – but it is a necessary part of growing in our faith and producing more fruit for the glory of God. Even when we fail in the moment (rebuking Christ when He predicts His own death – see Mark 8:31-33 or denying a relationship with Jesus – see John 18: 15-18, 25-27), moving forward in obedience, despite our failures, leads to maturing in our faith.
Perceptions Changed - Thomas
- John 20:28 And Thomas answered and said to Him, “My Lord and my God!”
- Jesus showed true love and patience as He dealt with Thomas’ doubts. Because he obeyed Jesus’ instructions, Thomas came to understand the truth of His resurrection.
Preaching Delivered - Stephen
- Acts 7:51 “You stiff-necked and uncircumcised in heart and ears! You always resist the Holy Spirit; as your fathers did, so do you.
- Don’t pass by the opportunities to speak the truth of God’s Word when the Lord provides an opportunity. Don’t trust in yourself – trust what His Word will accomplish.
Persecution Experienced - Paul
- 2 Corinthians 11:24-25 From the Jews five times I received forty stripes minus one. 25 Three times I was beaten with rods; once I was stoned; three times I was shipwrecked; a night and a day I have been in the deep;
- Jesus teaches that we are blessed when we are persecuted for His sake (Matthew 5:11-12). Don’t let disobedience stand in the way of your blessings.
As you celebrate the birth of Christ this Christmas,
Celebrate the obedience of Joseph, Mary and Jesus.
Problems Endured - Joseph
- Matthew 1:20 But while he thought about these things, behold, an angel of the Lord appeared to him in a dream, saying, “Joseph, son of David, do not be afraid to take to you Mary your wife, for that which is conceived in her is of the Holy Spirit.
- Obey the Word of God – Watch as He deals with the problems in your life!
Promises Honored - Mary
- Luke 1:30-31 Then the angel said to her, “Do not be afraid, Mary, for you have found favor with God. 31 And behold, you will conceive in your womb and bring forth a Son, and shall call His name Jesus.
- Obey the Word of God – Witness the miracles He performs!
Prophesy Fulfilled - Jesus
- John 17:4 I have glorified You on the earth. I have finished the work which You have given Me to do.
- Obey the Word of God – Wait on the Lord; He is faithful to complete what He has started.
Blessed Father, I fall so very short; but I know You love me anyway! Please Lord, help me to be an obedient servant. Give me the strength, courage and humility to obey You quickly, completely and joyfully. Use me for Your glory. Draw those who don’t know You into a loving relationship with You. Help all who love You to obey You. I pray all these things in the name of Jesus Christ. Amen.