A Call to Victory
A Call to Victory
Over the course of 2016 I studied Paul’s letter to the Ephesians. This letter, the inspired Word of God, is a call to the Christians at Ephesus (and by extension to all followers of Jesus Christ) to live Godly lives. This devotion focuses specifically on Paul’s rallying cry to victory found in Ephesians Chapter 6.
One aspect of Ephesians 1:1 – 6:10 is a call from God to unity, love, light, wisdom, submission, respect, obedience, kindness and strength. God speaks through Paul to petition followers of Jesus to be and live like Jesus. But this is not a motivational speech, it is an in-your-face challenge and charge for Christians to live the life they were called to live – forgiven through Christ’s shed blood, empowered by God’s Holy Spirit and experiencing victory in spiritual warfare for the glory of God, their own benefit and the benefit of others.
In verses 11-12 of Chapter 6, Paul explains why it is so critical that we embody these attributes of Christ; there is an ongoing conflict between the Godly and Godless.
- Ephesians 6:11-13 Put on the whole armor of God, that you may be able to stand against the wiles of the devil. 12 For we do not wrestle against flesh and blood, but against principalities, against powers, against the rulers of the darkness of this age, against spiritual hosts of wickedness in the heavenly places.
- Through Christ’s death, burial and resurrection the war has already been won. But until all things are reconciled and restored by God, the fight continues.
- This is God’s call to battle.
- Servants of God are soldiers for God.
We find out in verses 13-17 that every soldier needs the right armor. The armor of a Christian Soldier is like no other!
- Ephesians 6:13-17 Therefore take up the whole armor of God, that you may be able to withstand in the evil day, and having done all, to stand. 14 Stand therefore, having girded your waist with truth, having put on the breastplate of righteousness, 15 and having shod your feet with the preparation of the gospel of peace; 16 above all, taking the shield of faith with which you will be able to quench all the fiery darts of the wicked one. 17 And take the helmet of salvation, and the sword of the Spirit, which is the word of God;
- Jesus is ‘the power of His might’ and ‘the whole armor of God’! God’s Power (1 Corinthians 1:18), Truth (John 14:6), Righteousness (2 Corinthians 5:21), The Gospel of Peace (1 Corinthians 15:1-4), Faith (Hebrews 12:2), Salvation (Romans 1:16), and The Word (John 1:14).
- This is God’s call to Christ.
- Saints of God suit-up in Christ.
And finally, we come to understand that Servant Soldiers are Saints of God doing Battle on their Knees!
- Ephesians 6:18-20 praying always with all prayer and supplication in the Spirit, being watchful to this end with all perseverance and supplication for all the saints— 19 and for me, that utterance may be given to me, that I may open my mouth boldly to make known the mystery of the gospel, 20 for which I am an ambassador in chains; that in it I may speak boldly, as I ought to speak.
- Diligent Prayer – ‘praying always’ – always/at the right time
- Diverse Prayer – ‘prayer and supplication’ – worshipping/conversing/asking
- Directed Prayer – ‘in the Spirit’ – aligned with God’s will
- Defensive Prayer – ‘watchful’ – attentive
- Determined Prayer – ‘perseverance’ - persistent
- Detailed Prayer –
- ‘supplication for the saints’ – for all Christians
- ‘and for me’ – for Paul’s mission
- ‘that utterance may be given to me’ – for Paul’s words
- ‘that I may open my mouth boldly’ – for Paul’s frankness
- ‘to make know the mystery of the gospel’ – for Paul’s message
- ‘for which I am an ambassador in chains’ – for Paul’s ‘cross’
- ‘that I may speak boldly’ – for Paul’s confidence
- ‘as I ought to speak’ – for Paul’s obedience
- This is God’s call to prayer.
- Slaves of God make supplications to God.
A Call to Prayer is a Call to Victory!
Holy Heavenly Father, thank You for the gift and privilege of prayer. Please guide the prayer of Your saints to be within Your Will. Equip Your prayer warriors with the armor and information they need to battle for Your glory. May all Christians answer Your call to live like Jesus, engage in the spiritual battle, done the armor of God and pray faithfully. I ask these things in the name of my loving and faithful Savior Jesus. Amen.